Monday, November 3, 2008

What's in a Map?

I spent some time in Borders Monday, looking for children's books to take to the Bedouin village we will be visiting as part of our trip to Israel and the West Bank. At a discount store, I riffled through several books with Disney princesses and Big Bird and Elmo, but didn't know if they were appropriate: would kids would know who the characters were and, if not, would the books make any sense? A children's World Atlas was on sale, a big beautiful book like the ones my kids used to page through endlessly, and which they kept for many years, enjoying both the pictures and then, when they could read better, memorizing huge amounts of trivia that they loved to share.
I had the book in my hand and was headed to the checkout when realized I should check what it said about the land where it would be read. The map showed Israel, with a strip for Gaza, but the word Palestine or Palestinian was, of course, nowhere to be seen. I remembered the only other time I was in this part of the world, in 1994, when a group from my synagogue -- dedicated to pursuing a two-state solution in the land -- visited the Deheishe refugee camp. We found ourselves seated under a framed map, in which the "one state" illustrated was Palestine, which shouldn't have shocked us, but did.
I took the Atlas back and picked up another big one, a Children's Encyclopedia. This time, in checking Israel, I saw a listing for Islam and knew I didn't have enough knowledge about the subject to know if the information in the book was correct or if it would be considered offensive. I went back yet again and this time picked up an Encyclopedia of Animals.
Was I making this too complicated? Or had I avoided being seen as insensitive or ignorant? If so, are there other gifts I'm bringing that will say something I don't want them to? I realize how much I don't know.

No comments: