Saturday, November 15, 2008

Reactions to a Visit to Hebron

We visited Hebron's Israeli sector yesterday with Soldiers, Breaking the Silence. According to an agreement reached in 1997 between the Palestine Liberation Organization and Israel, Hebron was divided into two sections. H1, about 80 percent of the city, falling under the control of the Palestinian Authority, while Israel maintaines control over H2, which containes significant parts of the old commercial center as well as the Israeli settlements. H2 still has Arabs legally living there. Those Arabs living there are separated from the Jewish settlers by rules and physical barriers making life difficult for them and making us wonder why they remain. During our walk we were confronted with a settler yelling to us that the blood of dead settlers was on our soul because we were visiting. We continued on, ignoring his rants. We expected to shop in the small market that remained in the Jewish area but we were herded on by the police and we could not stop. It made most of us angry because wanted to shop. We also expected to be able to go to the Tomb of the Patriarchs, the traditional site of the burial place of the matriarchs and the patriarchs except Rachel. But we were prevented from going because we were with Soldiers, Breaking the Silence. As such the police said we were a demonstration, even though it was only a tour. The police officer also told our guide, a Jewish Israeli citizen that he could never come back. An Israeli citizen could not come back to an Israeli city. There was some yelling between our guide and the police and another guide. There was yelling but we still could not get to see the tomb.


Imagine, someone told me NO for no reason. Me, who believes in the value of being reasonable, that if everyone knew what the other knew then one could easily find a solution. Hebron challenged that world view. There was nothing reasonable about any of it. We could not go into the Tomb because? Just because? Just because? Just because police were said so.


Being white, I really never experienced that kind of irrationality that before. I could more or less get what I wanted by just asking. I was not prepared even at 66 to know the impotence of a crazy situation. Just because, just because. Even my parents who could be capricious like any human being provided some avenue for discussion and getting around an ultimatum. But not here.


Now, imagine, I am not a White American Jew but a Palestinian native of Hebron living in my family home that now is in the Israeli sector. What is it like for me? I live legally on a street in my family house but I cannot walk on the street in front of my house. I have to climb out a window and down a ladder to leave my house to go shopping or to the doctor or to see my sister. Jewish settlers’ children harass me and draw graffiti on my house and steal or dirty my laundry as it is hanging on the porch. So I build a cage around my porch to protect me from the children and maybe their parents. I do not have a curfew but I am caged in my own house. I am confined for my own good. For my safety so they say. To protect me from the newcomers, the settlers who have come to claim my city, reclaim it as they say. Fine, but they care nothing for me and want me out of there. All the harassment is to get rid of me. And the police and the army are there to protect me. And the protection becomes my prison.



The law is on my side—but the law is not enforced and rules change to accommodate the settlers. The settlers violate civil, sometimes criminal and certainly moral law but they control the situation. In the news we see the police and the army marshaled to protect Israelis from the Palestinian terrorist, but here it is to protect us and even the tourists from the Jewish settler. How and why, I do not yet understand. But I know it is so.



Why do the police not enforce the laws from Jerusalem and rulings from the courts? Perhaps fear of a civil war—a war of Jew against Jew. What a shunda, Jew against Jew. It must be prevented. But to avoid that shunda they create another, maybe a bigger one. They create the solutions to prevent violence against me by caging me and separating me. They prevent physical violence against me and they prevent physical violence of Jew against Jew but they perpetuate violence against all our souls, the soul of the soldier, the soul of the police, the soul of The State of Israel and my soul, as I get up from my chair on the porch looking out onto the road, and get ready to climb down my ladder into the back yard so I can go get food for dinner. Maybe violence of the body is better. At least it would be quick. The violence of the soul is insidious not really hurting yet killing gradually, unbeknownst to the victims. So everyday the situation becomes more entrenched and harder to change. Until there is no solution. And hope is gone.


As a visitor to this city and to the State of Israel I feel like the goal of the separation and all the rules were made to make the life of the average Palestinian difficult and unpredictable. In such an environment maybe the Palestinians will all just leave and go to Jordan or someplace else. Most of the Arabs in this sector have voluntarily moved over to the Palestinian sector. How can anyone live like my lady in Hebron? But the Arabs won’t go away. No wall, no road blocks, no settlers’ children harassing old ladies will force them all out and may even harden their resolve to remain. For centuries the world has been trying to get rid of her Jews but with no success. Think of the Arabs as Israel’s Jews. How can Israel be so bold as to think she can get rid of her Arabs? Like 2000 year old olive trees planted in this land at the time of the destruction of the Second Temple, her Arabs are here to stay. Now, deal with it.

1 comment:

Yocheved said...

hHere are my impressions from our RHR visit to Hebron, I call it Hebron Tantrum

have you seen Hebron?
don't talk to me
don't talk to me
until you've seen Hebron

have you seen the children in caged windows?
have you seen bright blue doors welded and bolted and permanently shuttered with
black spray painted stars of David?
have you seen our symbol become a symbol of Oppression?
have you seen our symbol of balance become a symbol of Indifference, Aggression,
a symbol where there is no justice?

a symbol of fear

have you seen Hebron? Where there is no justice little humanity

carrying bodies on your body to get out of the house and city
dying for medical attention

not able to cross the street
not able to go out of the house curfew curfew curfew means out of the house 2-3 hours
every other DAY

we have no idea
hello? we have no idea

how far
what has been done to the star?

have you seen Hebron?
don't talk to me if you have not

baby faces in uniform, my sons are older than you now, oh our sons and our daughters,
ordered to act against conscience, against Torah, against Shekhinah

how can we ask this of them
light of the nations, yes yes I still believe

my warrior spirit, King David lives in me, I could be a settler
oh yes the land the community the belief we walked these lands lived and worshipped

taken me a long time to get it, we evolve our worship evolves, Shekhinah is forever forwards backwards present all things all times of course She changes and responds

but have you SEEN it? the blue doors with black stars
the expressionless faces, the ghost streets, the settler mural, public art and public doctrine on a pubic street in HEBRON

the Israeli flag is orange

The street is quiet except for us, the children and old one watch from caged windowsills. The settler speaks vile things to us in Hebrew, his young wife trying to keep up in stride. But she can't yell so much. We are a non violent group, surrounded by several layers of Israeli security. After seeing other footage, I'm glad we are protected from settlers. They do their best to provoke, they want to provoke. I believe Shekhinah leaves in such cases. She is not in such words, it is up to us to carry on, to allow Her radiance to speak what words cannot.

have you seen Hebron? the black stars the bolted doors, the hopeless helpless eyes?
have you seen Hebron? don't talk to me don't talk to me until you have the tears of Hebron running down your face

until you see the tomb of Rachel entombed in a grey wall high high with barbed wire

have you seen the Tomb of Rachel? weeping for her children

don't talk to me until you have the courage to go there to see for yourself
don't talk to me until you hear then decide how to be a warrior what to fight for what to stand for what to do and why

talk to me after you see
after you hear
when you look into the eyes of all, our soldiers, police, they are us

talk to me after you shed tears
talk to me after your shock
talk to me after

tell me, we have come to this
our reasoning, our power, has come to this
at what cost security
at every cost

what a crazy place
orange israeli flags
black stars of David spray painted on bolted blue doors
children in caged windows
ghost streets

ghost lives
behind curfews hiding inside so as not to incite violence for being alive and sharing the planet
sharing a street

ghosts of martyrs past
ghosts of warriors and bloody massacres
ghosts of weeping wailing sorrows and pain
ghosts of revenge
ghosts of chldren crying from the stones

yet we live NOW
yet we live
to perpetuate the same old cycle? I think not

to point where
to point to a better way, a new way

stateless people
trapped people
economically strangled people
children in fear

what to do in Hebron?
cry and weep and wail
walk the streets singing
bringing compassion back to Hebron
bringing life back to Hebron

release Rachel
she is entombed in a tomb
gone to ground inside tall grey slabs
inhospitable, a fortress with no finesse
a sacrilege
Rachel weeping Rachel weeping for her children

have you seen Hebron?

don't talk to me until you have seen
don't talk
you cannot know
you cannot imagine
you do not want to believe